Wednesday, February 23, 2011

To light, or not to light, in Our Town it's a burning question.


Normally I do not write about topics that are "topical." When I began Our Town it was to look back, forward, and reflect on the side of Glen Ellyn that showcased what living in our Village is all about. But like I said, normally I don't write about burning topics, but for today I am taking that left-hand turn when everyone is going straight forward---so come along for the ride.

Last night I attended my first school board meeting ever; I went there assuming it was going to focus on a very hot topic in our community about lighting the newly built Memorial multi-purpose field. For the first 45 minutes it was what I would assume to be a typical meeting---approve this, have some people talk about that, and so on. At first I thought I was in the wrong meeting, but with hundreds of people present, I assumed they had yet to get to the main event of the evening. I was right.

The discussions began about lighting the new field constructed last fall---and even before it began, you knew there was "passion" in the air from both sides. Known as Memorial Field it really is a very nice addition to the community; having photographed there since its opening, I can say with all honesty, it's a very large field (it is multi-purpose) within some very narrow boundaries on the North and South sides. That's part of what was discussed by one side last night as to why lights should not be installed. From their perspective there is a danger in crossing Crescent Street where the flooding of light could spill onto the street and into the adjacent land on the remaining 3 sides that adjoin the field and the noise and commotion caused by night events. As you might guess, the other side had a differing point of view.

Many people spoke about the pluses and the minuses of having or not having these constructed lights; it was interesting to hear the logic and passion of why we should not have them and the logic and passion of why we should have them constructed. There was little doubt where the majority lie. But even though one side had more than the other, very good points were made by everyone.

We heard from athletes who need to be close to home so they can practice at reasonable hours and not be woken before daylight to catch a bus to a field away from Glenbard West; we also heard about the safety of crossing Crescent Boulevard and the lack of space with the new parking configuration. There was much more spoken, but these two topics seemed to be quite popular.

The word "safety" was used throughout the night as a key reason of why we should or should not have these lights installed. Whether it was "light adjustment" when traveling down the street (it can effect your eyes ability to adjust in a timely manner so as to not hit someone) or as explained by one of the players who spoke, the need for lights to be used as dusk sets in for the ability to see opposing players, or a ball/projectile coming at them. Good points by both sides. Although my first school board meeting---if it was going to be the only one I ever attend, this was a good pick.

Almost on a dare by a friend sitting next to me, I was the last one to speak. Being a photographer, who has photographed on many of the locally "lit" fields being referred to---I looked at it from a lighting angle. The light systems on some of the schools around our community (they were referred to as reasons why we should have lights) are pathetic and dark. As I see it, and it really has to do with the safety angle, if a camera does not have enough light to capture a photograph on a lit field, what about the players on the field who have other players, balls, or whatever is coming their way---coming their way? No matter how nice the field, lights for the sake of lights can be very dangerous if they are not bright enough; this is the case in other communities. Want to see good lighting? Go to C.O.D. So if we are in fact going to have lights, it's more than essential to have the best if for no other reason, the players and safety. If we are not going to have lights after all, then it's a non-issue.

I have no idea what the outcome will be on this topic---but if I were to go to Vegas and bet, I know where I would put my money whether I agree or not. I do empathize with both sides on this issue because as I see it, it will likely have little effect on me. But this is not about me, it's about Our Town. A place I call home---whether it's lit or not.

Thanks for stopping by.

No comments:

Post a Comment