Sunday, January 23, 2011

Against the odds.



As the owner of a very small photography company, I have begun to understand the challenges of being in business for yourself. If I were to look into a crystal ball---I don’t have one so it would be difficult to do---I am not sure how far to look into the future. Based upon my age, I would doubt I would see anything more than a 25th anniversary.

Now, take into consideration that photography is a skill that anyone and everyone feels they have---so you have to continue to make sure you have a reputation that is better than the other guys. As the motto of our company states,  “Everyone of our customers owns a camera, they are hiring us to capture a memory;” we can be sure there are many good photographers in and around Glen Ellyn who love to take pictures like we do.

Photography is one thing, but selling appliances is different.

When Young’s Appliances opened their doors in 1931, I have to believe they were not sure they would see their 1st anniversary yet alone their 80th. When you start a business in the middle of the depression, and you are selling items when unemployment is at 30 percent, you have to be aware that the likelihood for success is not a sure thing. Either they didn’t worry about it, or they are really good at what they do.

Since the time they opened, I can name 8 to 10 major appliance retailers who have opened and closed their doors. In the Chicagoland area we have seen Polk Brothers, Circuit City, Electric Avenue, Silo and many others do their best to bring the best pricing and service to the sale---but something just didn’t connect.

That’s what makes Young’s Appliances so amazing.

Young’s has lived through the big retailers and they still are very much a part of “Our Town” on Crescent Street in downtown Glen Ellyn. Maybe it’s because when Elmer Young opened Young’s Appliances he made sure that he gave back to the community. Many companies do this---but Mr. Young made the commitment and stick by it. I love success stories where the little guy wins. If you have a moment, be sure and check out their website and look at all of the organizations they support. They believe in “Our Town, “ and I am sure it’s one of the reasons they are a fixture (sorry) in our community.

I have no idea how long our photography business will be in business---but I do know, making sure you are a part of the community, and giving back to it, may not keep you in business forever, but it will make you proud to live in “Our Town.”

Thanks for stopping by.




No comments:

Post a Comment