Friday, January 14, 2011

The highlight of the 4th of July.


Well, here I go again, bringing up the 4th of July in the dead of winter. Maybe I am just wishing for warmer weather---no check that, I am wishing for it!

After the fire trucks, clowns, politicians and floats have passed, the crowd knows what’s coming next. For me, I am ready for the show. This past year, as we boldly changed locations at the 4th of July parade, I was well aware I could either get the picture I was looking to shoot, or regret my decision to move. I was happy.

When the Jesse White Tumbling Team comes around the bend, you hear the cheers and clapping from far away. Here are kids from the inner city showing us in the Western Suburbs how they have practiced and committed themselves to working toward a better life.

What do I mean?

In order to be on the Jesse White Tumbling Team, you have to be more than athletic; you have to maintain a “C” average in school, stay out of gang life, avoid drugs and abide by Mr. White’s rules. 
Now I have never lived in the inner city, nor do I intend to, but any of these 4 requirements is a huge hurdle for many of the residents who come from this less fortunate side of Chicago.

But look at the rewards---as a member of the team you get to appear at professional athletic events, travel inside and outside the state (as well as Internationally) and whereas it does not happen with regularity, appear in major motion pictures. (They were in “Ferris Bueller’s Day Off, Heaven is a Playground and The Meteor Man.”)

For more than 50 years, Mr. White has improved the lives of children who are looking to better themselves; since its inception over 10,000 kids ages 6 and up have participated in the program, I am confident many have gone on to jumping over even bigger hurdles in life.

Of course the Jesse White Tumblers are only annual visitors--- but when they are in “Our Town,” I know I am in for a show. For me, this is one of the highlights of the 4th of July.

Thanks for stopping by.

No comments:

Post a Comment