Friday, January 21, 2011

The Moon over “Our Town.”


If any of you are wondering why “Our Town” was not up this morning, there is a reason. You might think I forgot, or didn’t have anything to say, or was too busy…no, none of these were the reasons why it is up this evening. I wanted you to remind you to look up in the sky tonight.

Last night, my daughter and I left an area grocery store and as we headed East, I said, “Look at the moon.” Now, my daughter is not one to get too excited over the moon, but she was in awe. She said she had never seen it look as big in her entire life---at 8 years old, she is discovering new and different things. I am sure it has appeared as large as it did last night many times before, but I have to admit, it did look huge.

Of course in any town, city or region across the U.S. and the world, as long as there were clear skies, the moon was likely to appear to be as incredible as what we saw. But then again, this is our town we are talking about---I don’t know what was happening in yours.

Full moons may have been responsible for some pretty odd happenings over time. I cannot say for sure that there was a full moon the night a cow was placed on the roof of one of the downtown buildings or when snakes popped out of the sidewalks (to be discussed in a later “Our Town”) but if it’s true this spectacle brings out the oddities in the world we live in, it wouldn’t surprise me.

One thing the moon did bring with it last night was some very cold weather; if you live here you know we were below zero this morning.

If you have time tonight, take a look to the east; if it’s anything like last night, you will be glad you stopped what you were doing and headed outside. I have always loved looking at the moon---I guess the night the cow was found on the building it must have come up short as it tried to jump over it.

Thanks for stopping by.

No comments:

Post a Comment