Saturday, January 8, 2011

Parades in Our Town.


This may seem hard to believe, but until I moved to Glen Ellyn, I had never been to a parade.

No I was not an infant when I moved here, nor did I grow up in an Eastern bloc country, I just had never attended a parade. So when I learned about the 4th of July parade I was on it.

Like everyone else in the community I got up early and made sure I “found the spot” where I would be able to get the best view. What I didn’t realize was there are great views no matter where you sit downtown for this annual event. But to me, I had a great one for my family---I was ready for the bands to start. We still sit in the same area every year, however last year we broke tradition and sat on the other side of the street. A bold move, I know.

What surprised me when I went to put the chairs down, were the lack of blankets and chairs already lining the pathway. What was the big deal I had heard about? The big deal was everyone else was at Lake Ellyn putting blankets down for the fireworks show. Lesson learned---we were behind a tree that year, like Wrigley limited viewing.

My first parade in Glen Ellyn was 2002. It was a somber parade due to this being the first year after 9/11---but one that left an impression I will never forget. If you were there, this was the year the jets flew over the parade---loud but amazing.

I went to the Glen Ellyn historical society at Stacy’s Corners to ask about parades in “Our Town." Whereas I don’t have an actual date, Bob Chambers who I still need to talk with was not in that day and knows a lot about Glen Ellyn, I know they have been going on a long time. How?  Through the coasters for sale--they have photos from the early 1920s featuring the Labor Day parade that used to take place on them!

Whereas the photo was dated, and there were no motorized crafts driven by the Shriners, clown rock bands, or my favorite, The Jesse White Tumblers---you could see this was an event that brought the community together. I not only love parades, I love traditions.

The only thing about this parade I didn't see, were the blankets and chairs lining the sidewalks----maybe they were all down at Lake Ellyn getting ready for a Labor Day gathering. Who knows? Bet Bob Chambers does.

Thanks for stopping by.

No comments:

Post a Comment