Monday, January 10, 2011

The band played on.


In “Our Town,” music departments and bands add a dimension to the community that few other organized activities can do.

Sure, sports and other cultural events are important, but the number of students---whether children or adults---involved in music, I would have to believe far outweigh sports and other popular activities. Just a gut feel, I have no definitive data to prove my point.

One thing I have learned since I began photographing Glenbard West sports has been how coaches and teachers are well aware of those who are passionate or just in it for the fun. But it's more than just sports--- we are talking music, the arts, etc.

One of my daughters has been playing the cello for approximately 3 or 4 years; I have lost count. Now on her 2nd cello, this is a real one that costs a real lot, she has gone from a “plucker” (the first step in learning this instrument) to someone who really knows how to play. Sure she is only 13 and like many teenagers her interest tends to wane at times; she is involved at school, takes private lessons, and even though she complains about practicing, she seems to love when she plays in front of groups. I doubt she will ever be with the Chicago Symphony Orchestra, but learning and loving music is something that lasts a lifetime. Maybe she will play CSO on second thought!

During the summer months, when the “boys of fall” are out sweating and putting as much energy as they can muster into football, not far away the members of the marching band are holding heavy instruments, practicing tunes to be eventually heard on the field, and most important wearing their passions on their sleeves, uniforms and faces. One off note, or misstep and everyone notices---especially the performer.

A tradition I learned about this fall, it was my first year shooting Glenbard West football, was the pregame march from Beister Field House to the football field. The band members lead the players, who are holding hands preparing for battle on the field. I was actually “commissioned” to take the above photo; I will not tell you what it was commissioned for, but after missing the first try one week, I made darn sure I got it the next.

However something happened. As I prepared for the shoot, other photographers stepped in the way; I was one unhappy photographer. In the end I got the shot, but did not have many to choose from.

The next time the Hilltoppers head back to the locker room or wherever they go---send someone else to the concession stand for hotdogs (at $2.00 or so you can buy them one) you’ll be pleasantly surprised as the “band plays on.”


Thanks for stopping by.

No comments:

Post a Comment