Monday, January 24, 2011

Oh the things we see and don’t see in “Our Town.”



Sometimes I see things in and around Glen Ellyn that I am not sure others would notice; no this is not a sixth sense kind of thing, it’s more of my imagination running away with me.

If you go downtown you might see a pipe or a bench that has a strange shadow that comes out when the sun hits it. Go over by the bookstore and you will see reflections from the trees and benches that make it look like they are inside the store. You have to be there at the right time, but it’s there. The same is true with “Honey.” I was taking pictures one time trying to get the right view into the restaurant and every picture had a reflection of the trees and fire station across the street in them.

What I like most is when you see something that is so ordinary, yet when there is something above and/or below it, it makes it look like a face or something completely different than what it is.
The photo above is an example. When I first saw this on the side of a brick wall it made me smile. I saw the eyes of a startled woman (it’s the eyelashes that bring it to life) the small little nose and a mouth that is quite unusual. Bring it all together and these common items you find on a building create a funny face with real personality. I still like this picture.

One day, when the sun is coming up or going down…go for a walk to the center of town. Look at the benches, pipes and anything else that sticks out—you will see how the shadows create something that will make you take a second and maybe third look. If you really like it, you just might do what I did---take a picture.

Thanks for stopping by.

No comments:

Post a Comment