Sunday, January 2, 2011

It’s all in the numbers.



There are approximately 6.6 square miles that make up the Village of Glen Ellyn.  Until I saw this statistic a few times while reading about Glen Ellyn, I thought it was an error. I was sure it was much larger---I was wrong.

I am not really a statistics kind of guy, but the more I learned about who, and what, make up Glen Ellyn, the more intrigued I became. Although these figures are from the 2000 Census, they do provide an interesting “snapshot” of our town. (I suspect they will change when the next Census figures are available.)

According to the Census, we have more than 10,000 households and 7100 families. I had to stop and think about that for a moment until I realized there were singles and non-families living together. Oh what we learn when we begin to uncover facts and figures and have no idea how to interpret them.

The figure that made me smile the most was the median home value---it was $274, 293. All I know is, when I moved to Glen Ellyn in 2002, I don’t remember seeing homes in this price range; perhaps they were hidden away somewhere or their numbers were transposed. Who knows?

But let’s get to the most interesting statistic.

In 2000, the population of Glen Ellyn was 26,999. Normally a human or two moving in or out of a location doesn’t really factor in all that much. But this time, you could be that very important stat. Move a family in, and one of the kids or the Mom or Dad could be the lucky number 27,000. Have twins and one is the number turner; think about it, by coming into this world just a few minutes later, this could affect you for the rest of your life. (Just kidding.)  As you can see by the photo above, we have made 27,000---I suspect the number has been rounded in some way, as I have to believe we have not remained at this number for all of these years.

Here’s a little trivia fact for you. When Glen Ellyn was settled in 1834, the population of Chicago and Glen Ellyn (where it stands today) were about the same; as you might guess, we have fallen slightly behind----but you just never know if and when we might catch up.

By the way, in case you missed it, the first child born in the Chicagoland area yesterday came into this world one second after the new year. Cicero can add another little girl to their population of 80,100---now it's 80,101.

I guess you can say, it’s all in the numbers.

Thanks for stopping by.

No comments:

Post a Comment